Saturday, June 11, 2011

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game by Dan Barry (2011)

Bob Nicoteri, the eagle-eyed groovy former Scrantonian and writer of the Scrantonicity column on the Life in the Office website, Facebooked me this past week to tell me about a local reference he discovered in a new book he randomly found on the "Interesting New Reading" shelf of his local library in Seattle. The book is Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption and Baseball's Longest Game by Dan Barry.

Bob wrote me the following:

"Hey Bill! Here's a nice coincidence, ever since I discovered your "NEPA in entertainment" blog; I just finished reading a good non-fiction book called 'The Bottom of the 33rd.' It's about an utterly inconsequential minor league baseball game that turned out to be the longest professional game in history. The author weaves fascinating stories about the now mostly-forgotten players and their wives into the narrative. One of the riveting stories involves a player's wive, who was born and raised in...ta-DA!...Tunkhannock, PA!"

Bottom of the 33rd is now available to borrow from Albright Memorial Library; to place a hold, click here.

Thanks again to the ever-awesome Bob Nicoteri for this reference!

1 comment:

Bob said...

The "Bottom Of The 33rd" takes place in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The author points out the correct pronunciation of the city as "P'TUCK-et," not "PAW-tucket," as I always thought. So I learned something new.

A few nights ago at the hotel that I work at, I met two nice ladies who mentioned that they were from Rhode Island. I said "Where, P'TUCK-et?" They burst out laughing, and one of them exclaimed "He even knows the correct pronunciation!"